Listen to the full episode by clicking the play button below or download on iTunes.
Host Margaret O´Sullivan meets Toronto’s Science Sam! Learn about Samantha Yammine’s PhD research in Dr. Derek van der Kooy's Neurobiology Research Group investigating some of the first cells of the brain - neural stem cells. Continue the conversation in our Facebook Group, NGS Navigators, and be entered to win a model brain for your classroom!
- Introduction of Samantha Yammine, Science Sam.
- Her research is based on neuro brain cells and their development
- Details on how a PhD program works
- One important part of the scientific process: what are the alternatives if your hypothesis is wrong?
- The research Samantha does is good for brain injuries, alzheimer's disease, or other degenerative diseases.
- PhD looks to see which pharmaceuticals are activating brain cells and how the stem cells build the cells in our brain
- Sam recounts her experience...